Monday, February 1, 2010

Sharing


Dear Annie,
When I take my two year old to the library, I notice that he grabs toys away from other chldren. I am concerned that he doesn't know how to share. Is this something that I should worry about?
Signed, Worried Wendy

Dear Worried Wendy,
Sharing is a concept that does not come naturally to children. Young children need to be taught to share and to negotiate for the things they want. Because 2 year olds generally do not have the language to express their needs, they often resort to grabbing, pushing or crying. It is important to bring your child to the library, the park, a play group or to an accredited preschool program in order to teach him important social skills. Giving your child the appropriate words: "Can I play with that next?" and encouraging him to: "Use your words" in a setting where there are other small children will give him the experiences he needs to feel confident and capable of communicating. He will learn the art of sharing.
Signed, Annie

No comments:

Post a Comment